On this new moon, I married myself.
Why would I do such a thing… and how?
Recently, I have been focusing outward. I have friends, a wonderful girlfriend and acquaintances coming in and out of my life. I love to serve. I love to love those around me. I enjoy making people happy and enhancing their life. Then I met Michael Brill from The Awakener. Michael is a genius numerologist my girlfriend and I visited in Tucsan, AZ. After my reading, Michael and I went to a restaurant to pick up dinner.
On the way to the restaurant, Michael told me the purpose of the Full Moon is a time of gratitude for the previous month, and the New Moon as a time of new beginnings. He saw me focused on my relationship and focusing on business and creation.
“Here’s what I want you to do,” he said, “on the new moon, marry yourself. Write your vows, buy yourself a piece of jewelry, have yourself a ceremony where you read your vows and give yourself the piece of jewelry. Focus on you.”
And so the New Moon came. I got a black volcanic rock bracelet with a single red bead. I wrote vows to myself. I let everyone around me know what I was doing (a few of them ended up marrying themselves as well!). I was purely focused on myself. I shaved. I trimmed my nails. I dressed up nice. I had fun focusing inward. I went to a place in nature and had my own personal, sacred ceremony.
Afterwards I celebrated with my girlfriend (who also married herself on the same day, separately) with some desserts from a local restaurant here in Sedona, AZ.
It felt amazing to focus on myself. It felt great to tell people “no” — this day was all about me! I got to do what I wanted, go where I wanted. I got to focus on my life, my vision. I got to shine light on what I was committed to. Most importantly, I got to focus my love inward as the ultimate form of self love.
Would you like to marry yourself? The New Moon is a great time to do it (dates below). It’s a time for new energy, new beginnings, shedding the old, in with the new. It’s a time to reinvent yourself, to step into a new empowered way of being. But it doesn’t have to be on the New Moon, you can choose any date you’d like!
Here’s how to marry yourself:
- Propose to yourself & choose a date: Make the commitment by solidifying when it will happen.
- Go out and buy yourself a piece of jewelry. This is your gift to yourself on your wedding day.
- Write your vows. Tips: What do you love about yourself? What do you commit or promises can you make to yourself? What does this marriage mean to you? What’s a memory of yourself you cherish?
- Have your ceremony. Choose a place in nature, or a comfortable room. Find a place that feels good and read your vows out loud and give yourself your piece of jewelry. Tips: Light incense, sage, bring some flowers, make it special.
- Celebrate! Take yourself to your favorite restaurant. Or invite a close friend or love to celebrate with you. Enjoy the rest of your day in self love.